Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission by promoting and selling other people’s or company’s products. It involves finding a product you like, promoting it and earning a percentage of the profit for each sale that you make.
- You make money and you are happy
- The company makes money and is happy
- You have been able to help the company reach customers that they ordinarily may not have been able to reach
- The customer is also happy because they have learned about a new product and you have helped them fulfill a need or desire.
With Affiliate marketing, you do not need to invest the time, efforts and resources to create a product of your own. You simply need to locate and market an affiliate product as soon as you have a platform with which to sell it. A website or blog is usually advisable in this regard.
Affiliate marketing can be done by promoting a third party company’s product using a website or blog (recommended), your e-book, or just by posting your affiliate links to social media sites or using paid advertisement platforms. Using any of these methods, if you or anyone clicks and purchases a product with your unique referral link, you will earn a commission.
Rules for Affiliate Marketing
Below are extremely important rules to apply when promoting products that are not yours. You don’t have to use these rules in order to become an affiliate or be successful at it, but it’s what will help grow your affiliate income tremendously over a few years:
- Promote only products you are very familiar with— It is advisable to promote products that you have used before and has helped you achieve a goal or something. If you are not confident in the product and you don’t feel it will positively help people, please do not promote it.
- Do not directly tell someone to buy a product. I would advise that you only recommend products based on your own personal experience and in the context of what you have done or are doing with the product in question.
- Be honest. Honesty is a virtue in affiliate marketing and I would urge you to be honest in your dealings. Just because the product is fast selling does not mean it is good enough. Try to be honest with your referrals so they can have reasons to trust you.
Next time, I will be sharing more on Affiliate marketing as to the step by step guide on how to get started. Please subscribe to get notifications and don’t forget to like, share and comment below. Your comments are very valuable. Till next time… Cheers!